piano-tuning software

Daniel Hedlund daniel-fKF+LmlhkCtg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 28 15:52:17 UTC 2008

> Yeah, I actually already tried that and other things:
>
> chris at cpc:~$ piano -h
> chris at cpc:~$ piano --help
> chris at cpc:~$ piano
> chris at cpc:~$ cd piano-1.1
> chris at cpc:~/piano-1.1$ piano -h
> chris at cpc:~/piano-1.1$ piano --help
> chris at cpc:~/piano-1.1$ piano -h'
> >
> chris at cpc:~/piano-1.1$ piano -h'!'
> chris at cpc:~/piano-1.1$

The '-h' command argument is probably broken (file a bug?).  The
help/usage info as pulled directly from the source code:

char usage_str[] =
"tuning / frequency measuring tool by Günther Montag
Safaridoktor-Crc3fnV8OO0Aey3BTtE3dg at public.gmane.org\n"
"  -b  bias: numeric <0.9 ... 1.1> or Hz deviation from a (440 Hz)
<-44...+44>\n"
"      (which is useful for old pianos which are often tuned lower !)\n"
"  -f  fine tune a given frequency (enter center frequency 55 - 22000 Hz)\n"
"  -n  note <A, A# = Bb, B, C..., a, a# = bb, b, c...> (with -o)\n"
"  -o  octave <-1 ...6> \n"
"  -s  soundcard samplerate correction factor <0.9 ... 1.1> \n"
"  -v  verbose debug output, -h  help\n"
"If another sound-device than /dev/dsp, give it as last argument.\n"
"Default: auto-detect note and auto-switch to fine tune and measure.\n"
"more help: see `man piano`";

If you can't get the above working, their TODO files suggests to try
out one of the following graphic-based applications:
* accordeur
* ktune

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund