piano-tuning software

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 28 04:06:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Alex Beamish wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> My wife and I are expanding our guitar lessons business to include piano
>>> tuning. She will be getting a Peterson Strobe tuning machine. I, however,
>>> will get a laptop with CyberTuner software. Before I get a Mac notebook
>>> run the software I thought I would at least /look/ at linux. What
>>> inspired
>>> me to look at linux was that I saw an ASUS notebook at Krazy Krazy that
>>> comes loaded with ASUS linux. Of course it comes with a Windows CD as
>>> well
>>> (I guess to bail if you don't like linux). Does anyone know of
>>> piano-tuning
>>> software that works (for sure) in linux?
>>>

>> For sure? No.
>>
>> However, a minute with Google produces ..
>>
>>  http://piano-tuner.sourceforge.net/
>>

> Okay, 'm trying to install this. What Am I doing wrong?
>
> chris at cpc:/tmp$ tar -zxvf piano-1.1.tar.gz
> piano-1.1/
> piano-1.1/README
[..]
> piano-1.1/index.html
> chris at cpc:/tmp$ cd piano-1.1
> chris at cpc:/tmp/piano-1.1$ ./configure
> /tmp/piano-1.1/missing: Unknown `--run' option
> Try `/tmp/piano-1.1/missing --help' for more information
> configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... mawk
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking for gawk... (cached) mawk
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
> cannot create executables

This looks to be your problem -- your C compiler cannot create executables.

When I downloaded the tarball, unpacked the source code and ran configure, I got

[...]
checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
[...]
checking for strtod... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
[tab at music piano-1.1]$

That's a successful configure operation, and after that I went on to
do a my successful make.

Someone else can probably suggest why your compiler can't produce
executables. Apart from Googling, I don't have anything to suggest,
but good luck with that.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario