Fair Use - RE: Some Thoughts on Copyright

Mike Sillers mikesi-ft1kE4FQKTmJ6jDlghZswwC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 27 14:49:28 UTC 2008

 Fair use is an important point but where is the point at which it becomes
theft? One of the main points is credit. Another is fair compensation. I
think we would agree if someone copies something to give away or accepts
something copies to avoid paying, that could be considered theft. On the
other hand, what if the purpose is education as might be argued in the case
of a text book where the purpose may be considered altruistic yet is still
attempting to get something for sale without paying for it. Then of course,
there is the case of someone copying something for their own personal
profit. I would not mind my work being copied provided I was credited and
the work was not created as a saleable item without my consent.

I am more concerned about powers given to corporate entities.

Some of you may find the following article interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/arts/design/06prin.html?_r=2&ref=todayspap
%20er&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Mike