Fwd: Please Stand Against the New Copyright Bill

Ken O. Burtch ken-8VyUGRzHQ8IsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 26 19:01:07 UTC 2008

I don't think I can write a convincing reply, but you asked how I felt
about the impact of electronic copies of my book.  Colin could probably
argue it better.

I once slid my car into a ditch and walked down the road for help.  The
farmer said he'd pull me out if I paid him $20.  When I didn't have that
much money, he took down my drivers license and threatened to take me to
court if he helped me and I didn't pay him.  I don't want to live in a
world like that, where people are vicitmized in the name of turning a
profit.

As I wrote in the article, there is a difference between
making something freely available and being paid for your effort.  My
book IS freely available, legally or not, on file sharing servers.  I'm
earning acceptable royalties from book sales.  Why would I want to charge
somebody 15 cents every time they quoted an example from my book, or
giving examples about what a great book it was to their friends?  That's
part of what this bill is about.  It's not just about electronic copies.
We're already paying money to music companies when we burn our Linux DVD's
and that makes me ashamed of being Canadian.  And does anyone remember the
DVD decryption fiasco fueled by corporate greed and the DMCA?

In the IT industry today, people are often overworked
and underpaid and underappreciated.  Everyone wants to make more money,
get more respect.  But it seems to me that earning a living and charging
for electronic copies are two entirely different issues.  Do I want to
earn money to pay for my food and rent during the time I wrote my book?
Sure.  Do I think the best revenue stream is to launch an attack on the
changing nature of technology and create laws that pimarily target the
poor?  Not really.  I'm far more concerned at the low royalty rates paid
to authors: an author writes the book, but the vast majority of the money
goes to the big corporate publisher.  I also elude to this in the article.

I don't see free electronic copying as an attempt to exploit creative
people.  The bill is not an attempt to help people to earn a living.  It's
a money grab by the rich targetting the poor that will leave Canada in the
electronic dark ages, a legal morass.  In my opinion, the bill will
actually cost authors like me money.

I'm not sure that was explained well.  Like I said, read the article.

Ken B.