Fwd: Please Stand Against the New Copyright Bill

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 26 06:20:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 21:38:12 -0400
Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Colin McGregor wrote:
> > FYI:
> >
> > Here is the e-mail I received from my MP re: Bill 61. Sigh... not
> > exactly against the bill, but not exactly for it either...
> >

> This is probably going to piss off a lot of people, but I'm not (only)
> trying to be the devil's advocate here, so I'm going to ask anyway:
>
> Isn't all this about us wanting something for nothing? I mean isn't
> someone spending emotion, time, and money creating, developing and
> distributing something that we want it for nothing. And, yeah, I know a
> lot of what we're talking about is degrees. I mean when a single mother
> is fined thousands of dollars for downloading a few songs for her kid it
> seems extreme. Nevertheless, are we not still talking about someone
> wanting something for nothing?
>
> Just because you get away with compact cassette taping LPs in the
> seventies, burning CDs of LPs and CDs in the eighties, burning DVDs of
> movies in the nineties, and downloading songs via gtkpod to iPod in the
> 00s, is one entitled to this forever? Should we not be grateful we
> enjoyed the ride for forty years?
>
> I know I sound like an idiot writing all this. I actually have read
> quite a bit of the articles and viewed youtube clips referred to in
> emails from tlug over the past few weeks, and even had a sit down with
> Charlie Angus. I just find it hard to make up my mind on all this. For
> instance, I have recently joined SOCAN and am writing and recording
> songs with a view to having them published and picked up by recording
> artists. I feel I should at least consider supporting the system that
> may (in part) support me some day.
>
> I'd be interested in your thoughts. Seriously.

You're absolutely right, most people are thieves, and we get the crappy ass system WE collectively deserve.
(isn't it nice how that works out)

The real issue will be when Internet downloading allows for massive theft of HD movies,
i.e. 20GB a movie (bluray), and people can do this 10-100 times a month,
i.e. bandwidth caps would be needed that we can only now just dream about,
but when these 20-50Mb/s feeds i am starting to hear about become more common place,
and you can thieve a tonnes of HD movies, its going to be a whole different ball game then it is now.
(this will really! hurt the industry).
My guess is it will turn back around to what it was in the 80's in the US, where
people will get prosecuted for doing this if anymore more then "casually"
and it will put the fear into people.
But catching people thieving music on Internet, or stereo equipment from wall mart, or robbing money from a bank,
its all the same - catch'm and slap them around a whole bunch, the world will be a lot better place.
As for money grubbing record companies, and ticket master, etc, you'd hope a really good Internet ecommerce
would keep those bastards in check.

Do you sound like a idiot? no way!, your just not a thief, and that's a good thing! be proud of it, its a dying breed.

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>