Fwd: Please Stand Against the New Copyright Bill

Mr Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 26 01:38:12 UTC 2008

Colin McGregor wrote:
> FYI:
>
> Here is the e-mail I received from my MP re: Bill 61. Sigh... not
> exactly against the bill, but not exactly for it either...

This is probably going to piss off a lot of people, but I'm not (only)
trying to be the devil's advocate here, so I'm going to ask anyway:

Isn't all this about us wanting something for nothing? I mean isn't
someone spending emotion, time, and money creating, developing and
distributing something that we want it for nothing. And, yeah, I know a
lot of what we're talking about is degrees. I mean when a single mother
is fined thousands of dollars for downloading a few songs for her kid it
seems extreme. Nevertheless, are we not still talking about someone
wanting something for nothing?

Just because you get away with compact cassette taping LPs in the
seventies, burning CDs of LPs and CDs in the eighties, burning DVDs of
movies in the nineties, and downloading songs via gtkpod to iPod in the
00s, is one entitled to this forever? Should we not be grateful we
enjoyed the ride for forty years?

I know I sound like an idiot writing all this. I actually have read
quite a bit of the articles and viewed youtube clips referred to in
emails from tlug over the past few weeks, and even had a sit down with
Charlie Angus. I just find it hard to make up my mind on all this. For
instance, I have recently joined SOCAN and am writing and recording
songs with a view to having them published and picked up by recording
artists. I feel I should at least consider supporting the system that
may (in part) support me some day.

I'd be interested in your thoughts. Seriously.

Chris

> Colin McGregor

<snip>