[Fwd: RE: Please Stand Against the New Copyright Bill]

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 24 03:42:06 UTC 2008

On 8/23/08, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: John Myshrall <jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>
>
> | From:   Khan, Wajid - M.P. <Khan.W-o8LxKXBI9Raw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>
>
> | Specifically, it includes measures that would:
> | *     expressly allow you to record TV shows for later viewing
>
> Not true for anything protected by DRM.  Thus all Rogers digital cable
> broadcasts are excluded already.  I don't know about other cable
> operators or satellite operators.  But this is likely to only get
> worse.  For one thing, analogue will go away soon.

IIRC, stations may continue to support analogue transmissions if they
wish.  (I hope.)  Haven't heard much about it in quite a while though.

> | As with any bill, there will be ample opportunity for stakeholder input and
> | public discussion.
>
> The whitepaper consultation was perhaps a decade ago.  Those comments
> were mostly ignored.  Then came C-60 which died on the order paper
> when the Liberal government fell.  There was no public discussion
> prior to C-61, as far as I recollect.  There were private discussions
> with certain (evil) stakeholders.

I don't recall hearing about public discussions for C-61 either.  When
I spoke with Stephane Dion on Wednesday during the bloggers reception,
I asked him (paraphrasing): If there is a fall election and the
Liberals come to power, what would he do about C-61.  His response was
to start over from scratch and include public discussion.  He asked
for my business card and offered to call me as "a witness" in future
committees.

During the townhall proper, another fellow asked about C-61 and
received much the same answer and offer.  I'll blog my take on the
townhall in a day or two - when I get some time.

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/