virtual machines able to network between host and guest os

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 22 05:15:19 UTC 2008

Hi Teddy,

I was able to get bridge networking to work with kubuntu, using these
settings: (this is an example)

/etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto br0
iface  br0 inet static
address 192.168.1.101
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.2
bridge_ports eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 0.0.0.0

You also have to add some interfaces using Vboxaddif:

/usr/bin/VBoxAddIF vbox10 br0

Then you use these settings in virtualbox

Attached to: Host INterface
interface name: vbox10

Here's a URL for more information:

http://samiux.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/bridge-network-interface-on-virtualbox/
http://jaysonrowe.wordpress.com/2008/07/26/setting-up-bridged-networking-for-virtualbox-debian/

Do some more research on bridge networking, with some tweaking you
should get it :)

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Robert Brockway
<robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008, teddymills wrote:
>
>> Are there any other virtual machines, that allow the
>> HOST OS and Guest OS to communicate via the network?
>>
>> With network trickery, can you make VirtualBox do this?
>
> Hi.  The host & guest should _normally_ be able to talk to one another even
> if the guest can't talk to anything else.  I normally use a network bridge
> for virtual systems and the underlying virtualisation logic normally allows
> the guest and host to talk to each other and every other box.
>
> I haven't used VirtualBox but I have used many other virtualisation
> technologies and they have all supported bridging.  Currently I use VMWare
> and OpenVZ.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob
>
> --
> I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy

The man who is always a newbie at something,
Dave Germiquet

Everytime I learn something new,
I realize I know very little.