Bill C-61 site...

Neil Watson tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 20 12:36:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 07:15:02PM -0400, Dave Germiquet wrote:
>Doesn't it also make it so if we legally buy movies we can't translate
>it to IPODS as well...so thats illegal?

I thought that that would be legal.  However, I believe there is a
clause that states that the content owner (e.g. record label) can set an
'evil bit' or a 'digital lock' that makes the copying of said content
illegal.  This would seem to indicate that the copyright holder gains
even more power by being able to decide, on a whim, what we can an can't
copy.  I'm pretty sure that if this is true a digital lock will be the
default setting for all new content.

--
Neil Watson
System Administrator for hire