Who is going to Linux in the Park?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 20 12:54:45 UTC 2008

On 8/19/08, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Colin McGregor wrote:
>>> Just wanted to know who else is going to Linux in the Park this coming
>>> Sunday? A summary of the event can be seen here:
>>>
>>> http://www.cluecan.ca/node/737
>>>
>>> I don't want to get there and find I am alone :-) .
>>
>> Not that this helps, but I would totally go... but I'm only going to be
>> living in Toronto as of Aug 30th. How often do these happen? When's the
>> next
>> one?
>
> Alas, this is an annual thing.  Once September arrives, the weather
> starts to get less cooperative.  I wouldn't characterize it as "gets
> too cold," but others might.
>
>> You know it's nice to see such an active LUG. I've been part of many and
>> have been someone disappointed by each. The good intentions are there but
>> meetings/presentations/events just never seemed to happen. Have you guys
>> done an Install Fest at/with UofT or a general one?
>
> We tried an installfest ~2 years ago, unfortunately, the interest didn't
> emerge.

Yes, we had an install fest at Centennial College which was a
disaster, several volunteers showed up, but nobody wanting help
getting Linux installed showed :-( . Slightly more recently we did a
MythTV oriented install feast at Innovation Toronto that was a very
modest success, several volunteers and two machines on which to
install MythTV. There are no current plans to repeat either of the
above...

Not sure what did/didn't work. MythTV has its quirks when it comes to
installs, and isn't quite the painfree process found in most installs,
so that might have helped things there. How the publicity differed
between the two events is another question... Innovation Toronto was
downtown and Centennial College was a suburban event...

[snip Chris Browne's suburbanites vs. urbanites comments]

To add to what Chris noted, yes the local Linux community is broken
into two groups the suburbanites and urbanites. What I find of
interest is how little overlap there is between the two groups. I make
it to almost all of the TLUG (urbanite) and NewTLUG (suburbanite)
meetings. What I find odd is how very few faces I see at both
meetings.

Colin McGregor