Install Fest and other activities (was "Who is going to Linux in the Park?")

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 20 21:20:10 UTC 2008

On 8/20/08, Daniel Hedlund <daniel-fKF+LmlhkCtg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Instead of having LinuxFests nowadays, perhaps what is needed is something
> akin to a "WINE Fest" where people get help getting their [proprietary]
> windows applications working under Linux, or at least see if their
> applications can be made to work before they switch/ditch.  It wouldn't be
> restricted to WINE, but would rather encompass any
> emulation/virtualisation/interpretation software (VMware, QEMU, VirtualBox,
> Cedega, CrossOver Linux, DOSBox, etc).  The idea is to finally "get that
> last application or two that's holding you back from switching to work".
>
> Just a thought.

Good thought. Earlier this year for a client, I dealt with that sort
of issue. The answer I did was to install Ubuntu, then Xen
virtualization software and then to install MS Windows Vista under
Xen. So, for 99% of stuff the machine ran Ubuntu, but for that last
application the answer was to run Windows as a virtual machine...

> Daniel Hedlund
> daniel-fKF+LmlhkCtg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org

Colin McGregor