Who is going to Linux in the Park?

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 20 20:49:37 UTC 2008

On 8/19/08, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
>> Just wanted to know who else is going to Linux in the Park this coming
>> Sunday? A summary of the event can be seen here:
>>
>> http://www.cluecan.ca/node/737
>>
>> I don't want to get there and find I am alone :-) .
>
> We should probably bug Mr Patrick and see if there's anything that he
> thinks would be sensible to bring...

Excellent idea.

> I understand that there's a community street party the previous day,
> which frequently has decent leftovers (and some leftover
> "infrastructure"); I'm not sure what more ought to be considered:
>
> a) Beer's NOT welcome, as Bickford Park is a public place, and laws
> are incongruent with that being permissible;
>
> b) Having a BBQ is possibly-dodgy, unless Mr. Patrick has something
> figured out to that end;

Yes, if memory serves there are a number of rules for BBQs in the
parks, like, need a permit, and all the mainland Toronto park BBQs
must be gas BBQs (the Toronto Islands parks tolerate charcoal BBQs as
rules prohibit propane on the normal ferries... so charcoal can be
used at selected island locations...).

> c) On occasion, people have been known to bring large quantities of
> samosas, which have always been a big hit!  I'd certainly be game to
> chip in $20 to help make that happen :-).  (Actually, if anything
> quasi-organized is happening in that regard, let me know and I'll try
> to locate some of the mint dipping sauce that's so good with them!);

Yes, those were a great spicy treat and I would be happy to buy a
bunch for this event, but:

- I've hear stuff about there being a great samosas shop at/near
Finch/Midland. Exactly what place is that and is that the best place
for good/cheap samosas?

- Samosas are great, but there is more to a picnic than samosas. How
do we co-ordinate things so that say half the attendees don't say show
up with 50 samosas each? In other words what other stuff should we
bring?

> d) Soft drinks might be already available (in "leftover" form!) which
> is worth asking David about.

Good point. Semi-related point, are there speciality soft drinks that
would be enjoyed? Say Irn-Bru (www.irn-bru.co.uk) or Inca Kola
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca_Kola), both of which can be found without
much effort in the GTA.

Colin McGregor