Remote Control Software

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 19 11:40:55 UTC 2008

Stephen wrote:
> I have two requirements.
>
> 1) I have Linux on a PS3 and I want to control it from my desktop
> Linux system. Most commonly creating playlists of music and launching
> the music player.
>
> 2) I will be working on the road again beginning next week. I want to
> be able to do my development of web sites (using PHP) from my hotel
> room. I need to connect my laptop (Windows) through the Internet,
> through my router/firewall to my Linux desktop. I want to run my
> editor and test using the Firefox browser.
>
> Advise on what I should look at is requested and appreciated!

You want Xming and Putty.  Xming is an X server and Putty is an SSH
client.  Then you'll have to configure your firewall to pass SSH (TCP
port 22) to your computer.  Once that's done, to run an app, start Xming
and then at the command prompt use the command ssh -X <host> to connect
to your system and then issue the command to start the application.
You'll probably want to add " &" at the end of the command, to free up
the prompt for other commands.  The remote app should now appear on your
Windows desktop.  Once you've verified that works, you should be able to
create icons for starting your apps, on the Windows desktop, by using
Xlaunch (part of Xming).

http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes
http://www.putty.org