OT: CPU Fan noise reduction

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 19 03:32:57 UTC 2008

Hello,

I often have the problem that my machine (HP Pavilion a1620n, P4
dual-core 3.0 GHz) gets quite noisy. I'm using the fan that first came
with the machine. By process of elimination << stabbing a pen into each
fan :) >> I've found that it's my CPU fan that is going wild. I've
removed it and dusted it off time and again but it doesn't seem to help.

My BIOS gives me:

   CPU Temp 56 C
   CPU Fan Speed ~ 3200 RPM
   System Fan Speed ~ 1600 RPM

So I have two questions.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04. I would like to know if there exists a software
which can read the temperature and CPU fan revs. Can any software
actually do this? (Is there some mechanism that passes this info onto
the OS)

I think I need to replace the thing. A bit of Googling has given me a
few recommendations, but I'd still like to know if anybody has been in
my situation before; what fan + heat sink did you buy to replace it, and
based on that would you recommend that fan + heat sink, and where could
I go to buy it? (I'd prefer in person than online)

Thanks,
Marc

--
A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
   -- Alfréd Rényi (also attributed to Paul Erdös)