free email relay

Daniel Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 19 00:17:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 5:07 PM, Dave Germiquet <davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I need a simple mail server that can send out mail, I have no problem
> with configuring a mail server onmy side however it appears mail
> servers are rejecting mail coming from me...
>
> Is there any free relay mail servers that I can connect my mail server to?

I just setup esmtp to deliver mail from my self-hosted Drupal install
using Gmail's servers... A few helpful links:

http://esmtp.sourceforge.net/doc.html
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

If you are on a Debian-based setup... download a few packages...

apt-get install esmtp esmtp-run mailutils ca-certificates

... edit system-wide esmtprc config to use Gmail as the MTA...

identity="<your username>"
hostname=smtp.gmail.com:587
username="<your username-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>"
password="<your password>"
starttls=required

... if you are using a php app like Drupal... edit
/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini by looking for the sendmail line and editing
with...

sendmail_path = /usr/bin/esmtp -t -i

... save and reload apache. Cool and light solution with good
documentation/man pages... I am going to use it for sending mail from
my domain, and use Google Apps to receive it.

Hope this helps...