What is "Streamlined Blackhole"

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 18 15:20:44 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 08:32:20PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> I've been trying to find out why Xming (on Windows) no longer works with
> XDMCP on SUSE, though it is possible to start an X app, using ssh etc.
> In comparing Xming with a Linux system connecting with XDMCP, I see the
> Windows box is using port 1039 as the source UDP port for XDMCP, whereas
> Linux uses a port over 55,000.  Wireshark shows UDP port 1039 as
> "Streamlined Blackhole", but a Google search doesn't turn up much useful
> info.  Is that port number what's causing the problem?  Does anyone know
> what "Streamlined Blackhole" is?

It is possible windows simply starts using "random" source ports at 1024
and counts up and happened to get to 1039 when it started XDMCP.

Linux tries to use source ports in the high end of the port numbers
first.

Windows never has been known to follow best practices or standards or
RFCs before, so why start now. :)

--
Len Sorensen