eee box available: HTPC?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 18 15:12:53 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 09:56:04PM -0400, Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just got a newsletter from NCIX advertising the new ASUS Eee Box;
> what I presume to be one of the first Intel Atom-based desktops.
>
> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=32440&vpn=EBXB202%2DBK%2DX0023&manufacture=ASUS
>
> For $370, this seems like a great piece of hardware:
>
> Intel Atom N270 Processor
> Gigabit Ethernet
> 80 GB hard drive
> 1GB RAM
> DVI-Out
>
> It comes with WinXP Home Edition -- blech! I wish I could get it $30
> cheaper sans OS -- on principle, I guess.
>
> But the big question is: could this make a good HD-playing Myth
> Frontend???

Not sure what video chip is in them, although probable one of the
integrated intel chips.  Depending on the chip, it might have enough
power in the video chip to accelerate the video decoding enough to do
HD.  The CPU by itself probably can't do it.

It is a nice little box though.

Hmm, a quick search says the video is a GMA950 design, which by what I
can find is not powerful enough to decode 1080i (or 1080p or 720p for
that matter).  Perhaps the hardware could help, but it seems the X
drivers aren't that good yet.

The CPU might also be too wimpy for HDTV.

--
Len Sorensen