[mythtv-gta]: Re:eee box available: HTPC?

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 16 19:32:53 UTC 2008

> I would gather that the above CPU runs at 1.60 GHz. Now Pentium 4 CPUs
> below about 3 GHz are considered iffy for HD playback. Unless the Atom
> CPU offers far higher performance than the clock speed implies I would
> be worried.

It seems to; according to this video, it does pretty good with 720p
playback, although it seems unusable for 1080p:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/15/asus-eee-box-b202-detailed-and-tested-on-video/

> Further, the sort of gold standard for graphics under
> Linux still seems to nVidia, not sure how well the Intel graphics
> would stand up under MythTV's abuse... Bottom line, while this box is
> interesting on multiple levels, small, and low power consumption, I
> would want someone else to play test subject with this box...

Yeah, I agree with that. :-)

> Cheaper, if somewhat bigger, higher power consumption, and containing
> its own potential land mines is to build your own front end box,
> starting with a microATX motherboard. That can be done easily for
> under $300, just have to pay close attention to your pick of
> motherboards, there are some strange ones out there...

But you couldn't tuck it behind the big-ass LCD that you're using with
it, could you!? :-)

Cheers,
Aaron.