Decent Gnome wireless network tool

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 15 05:08:54 UTC 2008

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I am looking for a simple graphical tool (Gnome) that will show me
> what wireless networks are in range and let me choose which I want to
> connect to (and enter the pass phrase when needed). I know one exists,
> as the Asus Eee and others have nice tools. In case it matters, I'm
> using Ubuntu 8.04.

I use the network-admin command that comes with Ubuntu (or seems to
anyway-- if not someone can correct me... maybe it's a Gnome thing). Oh,
as I suspected, this is the same as the one that is invoked when you go
to Gnome's drop down System -> Network.

Clicking on your wireless adapter, then Properties.. if you select the
combo box for the ESSID and wait a few seconds they should all get
listed there with their strengths. You should be able to choose which
one to connect to.. and then enter the network's passphrase.

So I guess you're looking for something more/better? What additional
features are you hoping for?

Marc

--
Patents act as a tax, an innovation tax.
   -- James Bessen