piano-tuning software

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 13 19:45:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Mr Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> My wife and I are expanding our guitar lessons business to include piano
> tuning. She will be getting a Peterson Strobe tuning machine. I, however,
> will get a laptop with CyberTuner software. Before I get a Mac notebook to
> run the software I thought I would at least /look/ at linux. What inspired
> me to look at linux was that I saw an ASUS notebook at Krazy Krazy that
> comes loaded with ASUS linux. Of course it comes with a Windows CD as well
> (I guess to bail if you don't like linux). Does anyone know of piano-tuning
> software that works (for sure) in linux?

For sure? No.

However, a minute with Google produces ..

  http://piano-tuner.sourceforge.net/

It might be worth your while to download it and try it out to see if
it's worth basing a business on.

> This has to be something that works. I can't do one of these things like
> when I screwed around for six months trying to record on the E-MU 1212m pci
> in audacity (in linux) only to find out later that in fact there was no
> fully-functional linux driver for that card. I need this to work - we are
> taking over a huge client list for the piano-tuning. We want the software to
> speed things up (over the ear-only method), not to slow things down.

To my mind, if you have a solution that works, but you're thinking
about betting the business on finding a Linux solution, that sounds
like a really poor bet. Go ahead and use the Mac solution that works,
but go ahead and tinker with the Linux solution as something to keep
in your back pocket.

Good luck -- piano tuning is not for the faint-hearted.

Alex
(former piano student)