GRUB boot loader / Debian Lenny / GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 11 21:27:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:38:20AM -0400, Alex Beamish wrote:
> Nope -- it's installed on hdc because of how I've set my drives up
> (see original message), but I figured GRUB would be able to try hda
> and move on to hdc, then hdb and finally hdd. Does GRUB demand that it
> boot from hda? I guess I can move the ribbon cables around if
> necessary, but that seems a little inflexible to me.

No GRUB has no say in it, the BIOS picks which MBR to boot from.  GRUB
is installed either in the MBR of which ever drive the BIOS wants to
boot from, or a generic boot from active partition MBR is installed and
GRUB is installed on the active partition of the boot drive.

Multiple drives tends to be confusing though if you don't install the
boot loader on the first one.  However which is first does come down to
what the BIOS thinks is the first drive.  Being named hda in linux means
nothing more than being the first drive on the first controller linux
loaded a driver for.

--
Len Sorensen