SMTP & TLS [was Re:someone is using my email address to spam, is there a way to stop this ?]

Terrence Enger tenger-P1ovA8G34VBEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 11 18:40:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 06:34 +0000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, Marc Lanctot wrote:
[snip]
> > Not sure. The only hindrance I can think of is to someone experimenting with
> > SMTP using telnet for the first time to see how it works. :)
>
> One possible issue relates to reliability.  The same argument can be
> levelled against transparent web proxies: If you are going to make someone
> use your service then it damn well better work all the time :)

That describes my situation.  For no known reason, my ISP rejects my
outbound mail.  Ages ago, they asked for 48 hours to look into the
problem.  Sigh!

Of course, if they block port 25 elsewhere, it would encourage me either
to get on the phone (yes, phone; I have never received a reponse to any
e-mail not preceded by a phone call) and bug their tech support or to
find myself a new ISP.  Of course, I *should* be doing one of these
anyway.

Thanks you, all, for letting me vent.

Cheers,
Terry.