OT: Help Wiring Ethernet

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 10 23:33:00 UTC 2008

Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Hi there!
> I've just moved into a new home. Now I'm trying to run Ethernet into my
> office. It's Cat 5e purchased at Home Depot, $25 for a roll of 100m. I
> also purchased a wire cutting and crimping tool, which came with a
> selection of RJ-45 and RJ-15 jacks. Finally, I purchased two Cat 5e
> jacks, which will be mounted in a matching wall plate. Sounds good, but
> the trick's in the implementation...
>
> On one end of my initial run, I've got the (female) jack. It's a Leviton
> Multi-Use (data, phone) Cat 5e Jack that has an 8-port terminal on the
> back. I strip and split out the ethernet to the eight wires, and using
> the included termination tool, snap them into the connectors.
>
> On the other end, I have a standard RJ-45 plug (male). This is a lot
> harder to wire: you have to manually line up the wires in the correct
> order, feed them into the plug, and then crimp it with the crimping
> tool. It's hard to tell if you have got the wires in the right order,
> and whether they've been crimped so the wires are in contact with the
> terminal.
>
> There's also the issue of which wiring scheme to use. T568A is
> recommended by a site I visited, whereas T568B is used only by AT&T for
> some reason. So I tried the "A" layout, didn't get it to work, and
> realized that every Ethernet cable I have is wired using the "B" spec.
>
> So, after re-wiring my cable, I plugged it in and.... NOTHING!
>
> I don't have a continuity tester. I don't know if I made an error on the
> jack end, plug end, or both. My big problem is I don't know what to try
> next. Hence my message to this list. There's gotta be a crowd of you
> here who do this all the time. Can you provide advice on what to look
> at? Let me know if my methodology is flawed? What's my next step?
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron.

This may help:

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/diff568ab.htm

Notice the colour pairing to pin mapping. to test pairs, take a blank
RJ45 cap and put four loops of wire between pins 1/3, 2/6, 4/5 and 7/8.
Then take a battery and an LED (steal the one from your computer case's
power LED if needed) and wire-up the LED to the battery and a spare wire
from the other side of the battery run another loose wire. Make sure you
get the polarity right by touching the wire from the battery to the wire
from the LED and see if it lights. If it does, bingo, you have a
continuity tester. Now use it to check that the pairs work.

Failing this, I am not sure what to suggest. If you're still stuck, let
me know.

Madi