someone is using my email address to spam, is there a way to stop this ?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 10 04:14:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, David Payne wrote:

> I have only delt with 3 ISPs.  Two from Nova Scotia and one from here
> (Rogers).  All three blocked port 25 outbound, I thought that was the
> norm rather than the exception.

I used to consult to alot of ISPs but have has less direct involvement in
ISP networks in recent years.  Having said that, in my experience small
DSL providers normally don't block outbound SMTP.

I decided to ask around on this point on irc channels frequented by
sysadmins and got surprising answers.  Based solely on asking in these
channels I found the following results:

1.  In Australia a lot of ISPs are not blocking outbound SMTP or will
open it if requested.

2.  In North America it is the norm to block outbound tcp/25 but blocking
outbound tcp/587 (submission) is less common.

Of course this is hardly a scientific assessment :)

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"