someone is using my email address to spam, is there a way to stop this ?

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 10 04:04:52 UTC 2008

David Payne wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 03:16 +0000, Robert Brockway wrote:
>
>> It wouldn't.  I was thinking out loud a bit but it occured to me that most
>> people are using webmail these days but their local MS-Win boxes can still
>> send outbound email which is probably a lot more likely to be used by a
>> Trojan than for legit email.  So perhaps blocking the ability to send
>> outbound SMTP from home systems by default might be an interesting idea to
>> explore.  It somewhat goes against the concept of net neutrality but it
>> could be unblocked easily enough.
>>
>> Rob
>
> Hi,
>
> I have only delt with 3 ISPs.  Two from Nova Scotia and one from here
> (Rogers).  All three blocked port 25 outbound, I thought that was the
> norm rather than the exception.

Are you claiming that when I hook up to Rogers I will not allowed to
send mail from my machine using a Rogers SMTP server via port 25? If
so..  please, *please* tell me they allow SMTP connections on other
ports or I'll lose it. I'm one of the remaining few (< 10%?) people who
can't stand the latency of web-based mail clients-- I only use them
temporarily when I'm away from a desktop with an email client setup. As
you can tell.. I'm dreading the day that webmail will be forced on me!

Do they force SSL or TLS? Do they also force authentication for outbound
mail? If so then great.. the more ISPs do this, the better. I'm
wondering why it wasn't done 10 years ago.

Marc

--
A computer without Windows is like chocolate cake without mustard.
   -- Unknown