someone is using my email address to spam, is there a way to stop this ?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 10 03:40:02 UTC 2008

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008, Scott Elcomb wrote:

> Sorry - can't resist.  If "the people" make it an issue and _ask_ for
> that as a default, how does it affect the concept of net neutrality?
> The whole fight over "Net Neutrality" is about corporations (or ...
> shudder... gov't) making decisions for us - without necessarily asking
> for consent - isn't it?

I think there is a broad and a narrow definition.  The narrow one is as
you state but the broad definition is that the underlying design of the
Internet should not be predisposed towards certain types of traffic or
make assumptions about how people will use the network in the future.  We
shouldn't (for example) tweak TCP network wide to help HTTP because we
can't predict how the network will be used in 20 or 50 years time.

I feel that both definitions have been used in various net neutrality
discussions I've read - often without being explicitely phrased.  I can't
think of specific examples but I'm sure I've seen the broad definition
implicitely used on the NANOG list.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"