someone is using my email address to spam, is there a way to stop this ?

Phillip Mills phillip.mills1-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 10 00:51:56 UTC 2008

On Aug 9, 2008, at 7:24 PM, Robert Brockway wrote:

> It's an RFC 2821/2822 requirement.

That really doesn't strike me as a valid argument for doing something
that is ineffective at achieving its purpose and abusive of an
innocent 3rd party.  For spam rejections, using the From: header
these days is probably as reliable as choosing an email address out
of thin air.

I don't know all the options for spam bounces, but some that would be
clear improvements are:
  - fix RFCs that didn't take forgery into account
  - apply some intelligence to the software so that it bounces to the
nearest "received from" point (which can then take whatever action it
needs to)
  - simply drop the message so as to stop making the problem worse

But the approach of dumping crap on someone, who has been chosen more
or less at random, because a RFC document doesn't take current
reality into account seems totally wrong-headed to me.