Desktop BSD? (WAS: Puretracks considers GNU/Linux a variant of Windows 98)

David Payne david-KgjyJOZJJiMsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 8 14:46:12 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 09:24 -0400, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, does anyone use BSD on the desktop?

I use FreeBSD on my desktop system at home.  I wanted to learn a bit
more about FreeBSD but I didn't want to put it on my home server because
it has been doing so well with Debian.  The experience so far has been
very similar to using Linux on the desktop.

> My ports tree seems to have a good array of GUI apps (not that I've
> installed any, but they're here if I wanted to), but I suspect one of
> the main issues might be kernel support for "new, fancy hardware X."

I had no problem setting up Gnome 2.22 and all the other GUI
applications I use.  I even have Compiz-Fusion set up without any
trouble.

I don't have any new and fancy hardware.  My computer is a few years
old, but everything is supported for me.

I'm not a FreeBSD expert or anything, but it's working for me.

David