systems programmer job posting

jing gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 5 20:03:51 UTC 2008

Not from me, but from another research group here at UofT.
Contact email is at the end of the posting.

The system is in Linux & Xen.  I know the guy that spearheads the
research project and he's a really good guy with great skills.

                           Job Posting

                        Systems Programmer

                        SnowFlock Project
                      University of Toronto

The SnowFlock project at the Computer Science Department of the
University of Toronto is developing an infrastructure for executing
parallel applications on cloud-based clusters, e.g., Amazon EC2.  In
SnowFlock, an application encapsulated inside a virtual machine (VM)
is swiftly forked into multiple copies that execute on different
physical hosts, and then disappear when the computation ends.
SnowFlock targets resource-intensive web applications in areas such as
bioinformatics, graphics rendering, computational finance, and search.

We are seeking a systems programmer (1 year, extendible contingent on
funding).  In this role, the individual will have primary
responsibility over the following tasks:
•    Develop a Snowflock distribution for release to the scientific
and engineering community
•    Assemble and manage a beta SnowFlock deployment
•    Provide technical support to SnowFlock users
•    Maintain and fix bugs
•    Implement new features

Requirements:
•    University degree in computer science or closely related field
•    Experience in Linux kernel programming and debugging
•    Strong programming skills in C language
•    Good analytical and problem-solving skills
•    Excellent oral and written communication skills in English

Personal Characteristics:
•    Self motivated
•    Team player
•    Commitment to the timely completion of developments to schedule

Not required but nice to have:
•    Knowledge of Xen
•    Experience with scientific and parallel applications
•    Experience with Web programming
•    Experience with Python

To apply submit a cover letter and cv to snowflockjobs-26n5VD7DAF0mNOnO2XTxlw at public.gmane.org