Social networking

Mike Ward unforgiven24-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 5 16:05:56 UTC 2008

Something to consider might be what the aim of your site is, and where the
emphasis is - is it really just very much a general "add friends and have a
profile" type thing, or is it very important that they can have a good photo
gallery, too? Do you care if users can share video and uploaded media or
not?

Other than that, I've never really heard of much in the way of open source
social networking CMSs or whatnot. A quick google search turned up these,
though, maybe they'll be of some use:
http://www.vivalogo.com/vl-resources/open-source-social-networking-software.htm
http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/03/26/lets-take-a-look-on-some-of-the-great-free-and-open-source-communitynetworking-website-softwares.html

- Mike