Format USB HD

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 3 02:34:54 UTC 2008

John,

> mkfs.vfat is equivalent to mkdosfs. I belief that this does not create a
> fat32 file system.
I stand to be corrected, but I am reasonable sure that commands create
a FAT file system. I will look at it again to make sure
> The mount command
> "mount -t ntfs /dev/sda /mnt"
> gives the error message "wrong fs".

Correct, you are mounting FAT as ntfs.

> It would also help if I could partition the USB drive into two partition.
> Partition Magic does not recognise USB drives, and partition software in
> Linux needs the drive to be mounted. Not having succeeded to have the drive
> mounted, I cannot find out if this would work.
No, Linux don´t need a drive mounted for partitioning. Just fire fdisk
and point it to the drive. It should them guide you using the m key, I
believe. Ehh, it need to be seen by the kernel though, or in another
work, you need to see it on the dev directory

William