Funny: Dell Windows machines cost less than Ubuntu machine

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 25 05:34:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:59:32PM -0400, E K wrote
> for almost identical hardware Inspiron 530s with Windows Vista costs
> less than Inspiron 530s with Ubuntu. The sales man tells me that the
> Vista machines are on promotion.
>
> Knowing that machines are built after order is placed, I don't
> understand why Dell has Windows on promotion instead of the machine
> itself (the hardware).

  It's because Dell gets paid by various outfits to install all sorts of
crapware (trial offers and toolbars) on Windows PCs.  It's actually a
profit centre for Dell, in that they probably get paid more in total by
Google, Symantec, Roxio, etal than the cost of a Vista Windows OEM
licence.  See http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513-6078219.html  At one point,
Sony was charging an extra $50 for crapware-free PC purchase.

  The reaction has been free utilities like PC-Decrapifier at
http://pcdecrapifier.com/

  When I got a Dell with Vista, I got de-crapifier software from
http://www.gentoo.org and now the system runs fine<G>.

Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits
Fight SAC's Canadian internet tax http://walterdnes.wordpress.com