converting between documents file formats

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 24 22:32:49 UTC 2008

I changed the subject, because I have a question on a close but
different subject.

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 6:08 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  Many recruiters want to load the file into a database, so PDF is out and
> they tend to want Word, RTF or plain text.

As someone noticed, information from pdf files can be extracted too,
and even altered. The best example is that Google indexes pdf files.
The point is what kind of software they have there.And even images
could be scanned automatically by OCR, though I agree that most would
rather not have software for that since it is not a popular way of
submitting resume as an image file.

I have recentely worked on creating "reports" based on database
content. Some may know such terms like iReport or JasperReport. My aim
is to create a rool that would have some flexibility similar to
jasperreports. But I do not want to use jasperreports because it lacks
flexibility there where I need it. And it is too complex to learn it,
And I prefer to stay with php rather than using Java. Things would run
from web server, as a sort of additional offering to what we have
already as a service.

I was quite successful by using LaTeX to produce nice PDF files
(through php, i.e. I use PHP to create LaTeX file and than process it
in shell to generate PDF). An ideal solution would be if the same
LaTeX file could be used for creating let say RTF, ODT, XML, and
perhaps some other formats.  But I got lost. This subject seems to be
messy. Are there around free quality scripts for doing this? Does
soemeone has experience of that kind? I see myself that there are many
tools around but either they are not developed anymore, or they
produce crappy results, or are hard to install, etc.

zb.