Google: Incorrect language settings

Chris F.A. Johnson cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 23 18:11:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Giles Orr wrote:

> On 4/23/08, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 05:59:43PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
>>> Had an interesting problem crop up with Google recently, seems they're
>>> not totally on the ball when it comes to non-US networks and their
>>> language redirection. Specifically, I've seen Teksavvy IP addresses in
>>> the 69.196.138.0/24 range constantly being sent to google.es with all
>>> results in Spanish.
>>>
>>> Hoping it doesn't take up to the month they say it might. Anyone else
>>> seen this?
>>
>> Well normally if I type google.ca then I get google.ca.  If I type
>> google.com I get google.com.  I have never seen google redirect to
>> another domain that the one I typed.
>
> If typing "www.google.com" actually gets you "www.google.com", you're
> in a very small group in Canada.  I get redirected to "www.google.ca"
> at home, at work, everywhere I've ever seen.

    Same here. That's why I don't use Google's front page. I use a
    local page with a form to call google.com with a search term. That
    doesn't get redirected to google.ca; a bare "google.com" does.

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster         <http://woodbine-gerrard.com>
    ========= Do not reply to the From: address; use Reply-To: ========