Buzzword Bingo Ultimate Edition!

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 23 15:13:51 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 05:32:49PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> I had read that.
>>
>> What do you mean by "How about this then?"?  If you trimmed your quote I'd
>> know what you were responding to.
>>
>> It certainly doesn't tell me much about the architecture (i.e.
>> instruction set etc.).  It suggests that they probably start with 4K
>> (bytes? words?)  of memory and can go up to at least 12k.  They seem
>> to be able to control tape drives, disc (sic) drives, printers, card
>> readers, and card punches,
>
> True it doesn't mention the architecture but at least google isn't
> completely void of some information on the existence of the model.
>
> I wonder how much information was even available when it was new.

Quite a bit, if you'd been a G.E. computer customer back in the '60s,
'70s.  I didn't know much about them because I was in the "big iron"
world of GE-415s. At that level we might see one sitting around to do
media spooling.  They were full computers, though; ISTR a car
dealership, maybe, that did all its D.P. work on one.  Hugh supposes
right.  Memory was in bytes, I think.

	Mel.