Buzzword Bingo Ultimate Edition!

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 22 21:32:49 UTC 2008

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:46:19PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
| > | From: Mel Wilson <mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>
| >
| > | When the first GE-115 computer came across from Olivetti,
| >
| > I'd never heard of the GE-115.  Googling doesn't seem to lead to a
| > description of the architecture (i.e. instruction set etc.).  But it
| > does lead to information about the industrial designer.  Apparently he
| > went on to form Memphis.
| >   http://www.dundee.ac.uk/graduation2007/sottsasslaureation.html
| > He was 90 last year, the year this degree was conferred.
| >
| > Bull / Olivetti / GE / Honeywell etc. treated their computer business as
| > some kind of hot potato.
|
| How about this then?
| http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/GE/GE.GE-115SystemSoftware.1967.102646096.pdf

Thanks.

I had read that.

What do you mean by "How about this then?"?  If you trimmed your quote I'd
know what you were responding to.

It certainly doesn't tell me much about the architecture (i.e.
instruction set etc.).  It suggests that they probably start with 4K
(bytes? words?)  of memory and can go up to at least 12k.  They seem
to be able to control tape drives, disc (sic) drives, printers, card
readers, and card punches,