Wifi LAN?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 22 13:49:53 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 09:17:53PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>> You might be in a building where you can't drill holes.  Temporary
>> offices etc.
>
> duct tape.  Excellent at holding wires in place, even on the ceiling. :)
>
> Besides does anyone have an office that isn't wired anymore?  Wouldn't
> that be a checklist item when looking for space?

There are many old buildings around, where it is difficult to run cables
  and some people do worry about appearance.  Also, there are many
situations where mobility is important.  Fox example, last year my
company was involved with a job at a large green house.  The staff there
used tablet computers, as they wandered around, doing their work.
Similar situations occur in hospitals etc.  Another example would be in
the library or coffee shops etc., where people bring their computers and
just use them, without worrying about ethernet connections.  At home,
while I do have ethernet, I also take my notebook out onto the balcony
or some times, even when using it at my desk, I don't bother plugging it
the ethernet cable.  Some computers, such as my Nokia N800 don't even
have an ethernet connection, though it does have WiFi.

Regardless, the most appropriate connection method depends on needs and
whatever works best in that environment.