Buzzword Bingo Ultimate Edition!

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 22 12:05:45 UTC 2008

Giles Orr wrote:
> My father had (has?) a 1970s Alfa Romeo car manual that includes
> reference to a "ideogram illumination intensity adjustment
> potentiometer."  This is actually entirely accurate, it's just not a
> good choice of translation: they're talking about the dashboard light
> dimmer.

When the first GE-115 computer came across from Olivetti, not too much
earlier than that, the company hired a commercial translating service
to do the documentation.  It came back with a lot of strange phrases
like that.  The only one to stick in my mind is "coherent elaboration
of flows".  They wound up installing the system by setting up the
mainframe, peripherals, and cables exactly as shown in the photos,
then hooking up the connectors that were nearest each other.

The Italian tech-speak for c.e.f. meant "logical file processing".

	Mel.