Wifi LAN?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 22 01:31:35 UTC 2008

E K wrote:
> --- James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

>> E K wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if it is a good idea to use wireless as an office
>>>
>> LAN
>>
>>> of 20 to 30 employees? Is it technically feasible in terms of
>>> reliable connection and speed? My experience with Dlink so far is
>>> anything but unreliable one.
>>>
>> It's certainly doable, but it depends on how much traffic the users
>>
>> generate.  Also, for office use, I'd avoid using consumer grade
>> gear.
>>

> Can you give me some pointers to expertise in this area and possibly
> on VoWIFI. If you have done these and are available to do consulting
> work let me know.

I work in the telecom field, with some computer networks involved.  The
issues with consumer gear are performance and configuration & features.
For example, a WiFi access point from one supplier supports 8 VLAN's so
you can separate users according to needs, even though they connect to
the same access point.  Another company makes WiFi gear that uses dumb
access points, connected back to a switch that enables fast switching
between access points and also better reuse of the channel.  Things like
DHCP servers support far more options etc.  It's a whole different world
and costs more too.

Search on names such as Adtran, Allied Telesis or Extricom for examples.