integrated Sound on Fedora

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 17 19:45:43 UTC 2008

I have used Linux for years.  But one of the reasons I started moving to
Mac OS X on the desktop (6 years ago) was that multimedia was too
difficult to make work on Linux, particularly as it wasn't that central
that I could dedicate a lot of time to it.  I've been very happy with OSX!

However, I have my main server at home on Fedora 8, and I am again
frustrated by multimedia.  What I want to work seamlessly is pretty
minimal:

MythTV
Rhythmbox
Flash within Firefox
Xine
mplayer (would be nice - but very rare)

Right now, if I use any of them the audio becomes unavailable to the
others and I have to kill the first program to get another to work.  I
can't believe that this is the current state of the art for Linux.  I've
googled, and I'm usually good at finding stuff, but I can't find
workable answers to this.  I thought pulseaudio was the answer, but it
doesn't get me there.

What 'rpm -q -a|grep audio' says is:
	jack-audio-connection-kit-0.103.0-5.fc8
	pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8