5TB raid

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 15 15:08:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:55:00AM -0400, teddy wrote:
> Need to make a 5TB raid.
> I could go with a canned solution. But that would be no fun.
>
> I was thinking about
>
> One HighPoint RocketRAID 2322 PCI Express SATA II card (2 SAS connectors)
> Two 4 bay SATA2 enclosures with hotswap drive.
> EIGHT WD Caviar 1TB (Green) SATA drives not listed (Hitachi and Sumsung
> listed)

As far as I can tell, that card is NOT supported by linux.  They have
drivers available but they contain a binary blob which to me is just not
worth it given how many raid cards are fully supported without that.  I
also get the impression that the 2322 is a marvell fakeraid card in
fact.  I wouldn't want to run a 5TB raid on a fakeraid.

Check out areca or 3ware instead.

> Setup the hw raid
> Fill both 4 bay enclosures with four 1TB drives
> Install Gentoo OS with RAID1 with two 80GB IDEs (basic OS only,/home
> /var etc. but NO DATA!)
> (make a third copy if they request...raids do not prevent operator errors)
> use IDEs as /dev/hda so the sata enclosures start with /dev/sda
>
> After OS install is complete then attach the sata enclosures
> and setup each as a RAID5 using mdadm, fstab at bootup
>
> /dev/sda1 sda2 sda3  sda4=standby
> /dev/sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4=standby
>
> (you could probably get away with using seven 1TB drives, as long as you
> have email notification on a failed drive an replaced it immedialtely
> with the 7th drive)
>
> /raid1=3TB RAID5 on enclosure1, mount as ext3 /raid1 via rc.local
> /raid2=3TB RAID5 on enclosure2, mount as ext3 /raid2 via rc.local
>
> Call HighPoint for advice first.

Or call someone with open source drivers instead. :)

--
Len Sorensen