[OT] Wireless Distance in Apartment

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 11 18:19:36 UTC 2008

Stephen wrote:

> The notebook does no better.
>
> I am wondering what they have in the walls in my building.

I thought you said reinforced concrete.  It is used in any load bearing
walls.  You can hear the difference between reinforced concrete and
drywall, when you knock on the wall.

> I also wonder how long the wire from the router to the antenna can be?
> Can I add an extension cable to get the antenna into the middle room?

Cables tend to be very lossy at those frequencies.  You want to keep the
cable as short as possible.  That is why I suggested moving the router.

There are repeaters available, though I've never seen one in a store.
You have to place it where it has a connection with both locations.