[OT] Wireless Distance in Apartment

Don Moskaluk Don.Moskaluk-qw45nNPI8JxBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 10 16:16:47 UTC 2008

Dlink specs.

Wireless Transmit Power:
* 15dBm (32mW) 2dB (Control TX power level from full, 50%, 25%, 125% and
min.)

Receiver Sensitivity:
* 54Mbps OFDM, 10% PER,-66dBm)
* 48Mbps OFDM, 10% PER,-71dBm
* 36Mbps OFDM, 10% PER,-76dBm
* 24Mbps OFDM, 10% PER,-80dBm
* 18Mbps OFDM, 10% PER,-83dBm
* 12Mbps OFDM, 10% PER,-85dBm
* 11Mbps CCK, 8% PER,-83dBm
* 9Mbps OFDM, 10% PER,-86dBm
* 6Mbps OFDM, 10% PER,-87dBm
* 2Mbps QPSK, 8% PER,-89dBm

External Antenna Type:
* 1.0dB Dipole with reverse SMA connector

As you can see the power level in the dlink AP is fairly low at 15dBM.
Generally you can use up to 200 mW; however, if you can't change out
your radio card you may need to increase your antenna size to get that
level.

As you can see from the Receiver Sensitivity the lower the MPBS the
higher the strength dBM. Reducing the speed does have a benefit for
getting more power out.

The external antenna is only 1 dBM.  Increasing will affect both
receiving and sending signals.  On your Linux box if you do have a radio
card you can also change the signals strengths.  That why Linux is fun
to use!

Sincerely,

Don Moskaluk
http://moskaluk.com/voip_using_wireless_mesh_infrast.htm