[OT] Wireless Distance in Apartment

Don Moskaluk Don.Moskaluk-qw45nNPI8JxBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 10 14:16:07 UTC 2008

When you get a reduce signal strength you also loose bandwidth.  The
maximum bandwidth that I assume that you need is what you are getting
from the Internet.  So let say it a standard 3.0 MBPS connection or even
an extreme connection the very best that you will get from 802.11B is
11MBPS actual through put would be more like 5 MBPS.  If you reduce you
bandwidth signal for a Maximum of 5 MBPS then you will get equal through
put.  Having more bandwidth or signal strength would be great but you
loosing that coverage because of signal fade.  You also have to worry
about a frenzel the space between the high and low wave of your access
point.  You want to ensure that the unit is not on the floor or at the
ceiling.

If you are using linux as a client or access point there is a method
that some radio cards have to actually boost the power of the signal
strength.  These cards normally have antheros or prism chipsets.

I hope this helps?

Don Moskaluk
www.moskaluk.com/blogger.htm