[OT] Wireless Distance in Apartment

Don Moskaluk Don.Moskaluk-qw45nNPI8JxBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 10 13:32:59 UTC 2008

Stephen

Your problem with dlink is not unique.  There are two problems, the
radio card in your pc/laptop and radio Access Point.

The type of protocol you are using such that 802.11b or g or N etc.
plays a part of for your wireless network.

If you don't want to buy a new router and radio card then you can do a
few things to get better reception.

First by a 5 dbi or better antenna.  In fact buy any antenna that will
boost the signal.

Second change your channel to 11 it better for a number of reasons.

Third move your access point and your pc/laptop away from the wall and
increase the height.

Forth reduce the bandwidth.  Lets say you are using 802.11g move it down
to 802.11b and do not use the extreme or range boosting device in dlink.

Simply doing these two function will increase the distance and
bandwidth.

Check out the antenna at http://www.dlink.ca/products/?sec=0&pid=51 I
think you said dlink.  No need to buy new access point

Sincerely,

Don Moskaluk
www.moskaluk.com