[OT] Wireless Distance in Apartment

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 10 04:22:45 UTC 2008

Perhaps the issue is with the D-Link products in general? I made the
mistake of buying by-price and getting D-Link. Both of my last two
D-Link wifi routers have been crap. Both have a tendency to need
resetting after a certain period of time (they show up but I can't
actually connect to them), and the first one had known bugs that were
never fixed (the ability to use an external DHCP server, for example,
was completely broken).

Unfortunately I can't really recommend any competing wireless products
either, as there hasn't been anything that really stood out. My
experiences have been:

Linksys: Some models better than others, but the last router I had was
equal to any D-Link for range, and didn't have to be rebooted
SMC: My (wired) Barricade router is awesome. I've had decent luck with
many SMC products
Motorola: Wireless USB card. Terrible drivers in windows, never got it
working in 'nix

Hope this didn't sound like a rant, others may be able to recommend
products that might better serve your network, but I definately found
that even D-Link's gold/extreme products weren't really getting the
bang-for-your-buck that you might expect.

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have my new DLink Xtreme G 2.4GHz Wireless Router in a corner bedroom
> where my cable modem is.
>
>  I want it to connect to my PS3 which is in the living room and about 35
> feet away. But it goes through two walls. Concrete, steel reinforced, but
> not supporting walls. Wall width is about 2 inches.
>
>  The signal is weak and flaky.
>
>  I expected this to work far better than it does.
>
>  I took my laptop into the living room, and experienced the same behaviour.
>
>  Should I try to "fix" something?
>
>  Or do I need to add a repeater in the middle room?
>
>  Where could I buy a repeater like the DLink AirPlus in Toronto.
>
>  Thanks
>  Stephen
>

>  --
>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2
(647) 302-0942