Request for kernel-compile time (advance user only)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 7 14:44:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 02:16:30PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> After building two Athlon64 (single-core) system, I'm still disappointed
> by the speed and throughput.  It's barely 50% faster than P4/2.8GHz +
> DDR-333.

So being 50% faster than a P4 2.8GHz while running at 2.4GHz and using
half the power isn't good enough?  Are they dual core or single core
Athlon64s?

> Can some of you download kernel/config, and post compile time?  I'd
> would very interested in how other cpu/chipset perform.  Command line
> would go something like this:
>
>     wget http://home.eol.ca/~parkw/tmp/config-huge-smp-2.6.24.3-smp
>     wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.24.3.tar.bz2
>     tar -xjf linux-2.6.24.3.tar.bz2
>     cd linux-2.6.24.3
> 	make distclean
> 	cp ../config-huge-smp-2.6.24.3-smp .config
> 	make oldconfig
> 	time make
>
> On my computers, 'time make' takes
>
>     - 30min
> 	- Athlon64 LE-1620+/2.4GHz (45W)
> 	- OCZ DDR2-667 (5-5-5-15)
> 	- Asus M2N-VM DVI (GeForce 7050, nForce 630a)
>
>     - 25min
> 	- Athlon64 3800+/2.4GHz (65W)
> 	- Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12)
> 	- Asus M2N-E (nForce 570 Ultra)
>
> There will be difference due to different libraries and compilers, but
> they should all be in the same ball park.

You should also note your disk setup.  Speed of disk can matter.
Quantity of ram also matters.

I ran it on my machine:

time make -j 8 (on SMP machines, -j 2 x number of CPUs tends to be a
		good way to keep all the CPUs busy).

real    7m22.548s
user    25m3.546s
sys     3m0.475s

That is a Q6600 quad 2.4GHz with 2GB DDR2-800 ram (dual channel of
course).

--
Len Sorensen