Request for kernel-compile time (advance user only)

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 5 18:16:30 UTC 2008

After building two Athlon64 (single-core) system, I'm still disappointed
by the speed and throughput.  It's barely 50% faster than P4/2.8GHz +
DDR-333.

Can some of you download kernel/config, and post compile time?  I'd
would very interested in how other cpu/chipset perform.  Command line
would go something like this:

    wget http://home.eol.ca/~parkw/tmp/config-huge-smp-2.6.24.3-smp
    wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.24.3.tar.bz2
    tar -xjf linux-2.6.24.3.tar.bz2
    cd linux-2.6.24.3
	make distclean
	cp ../config-huge-smp-2.6.24.3-smp .config
	make oldconfig
	time make

On my computers, 'time make' takes

    - 30min
	- Athlon64 LE-1620+/2.4GHz (45W)
	- OCZ DDR2-667 (5-5-5-15)
	- Asus M2N-VM DVI (GeForce 7050, nForce 630a)

    - 25min
	- Athlon64 3800+/2.4GHz (65W)
	- Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12)
	- Asus M2N-E (nForce 570 Ultra)

There will be difference due to different libraries and compilers, but
they should all be in the same ball park.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell