Debian ia64 Install (WAS "4GB memory")

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 4 03:31:54 UTC 2008

As a follow-up to the previous thread: I turned off "Virtual Memory"
in Vista, rebooted, defragged, and asked Vista to shrink its own
partition ... and it offered to give me a full 89MB more.  Uh huh,
thanks but no thanks.

GPartEd believes it would have no trouble resizing Vista's partition.
I haven't taken it up on that yet.

But what's got me writing today: I used jigdo to create an ISO of
debian-testing-ia64-CD-1 (the same process that successfully made a
bootable CD of i386) and the computer won't boot from it.  It mounts
and I can see the files on it, but it won't boot.  I can't remember
how to do an md5sum on a CD to compare to the ISO and it seemed easier
to download and burn debian-testing-ia64-businesscard ... which
behaved in exactly the same way.  The computer attempts to boot from
CD, thinks about it for about five seconds, and then boots from the
HD.  As I say, both appear to be valid discs.  Debian's instructions
just say "boot from the disc," as if there's nothing special to be
done.  Anyone have any ideas?

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The computer I mentioned earlier has arrived.  Vista was rather
>  ungenerous in repartitioning: the machine has a 320GB drive and Vista
>  takes up 20GB but when asked to shrink the partition Vista would only
>  allow that it could give up 135GB.  Defragging didn't change that.  If
>  anyone has suggestions on this I'd be happy to hear them, but that's
>  not my main reason for writing.
>
>  I bought the machine with 4GB of memory (4 sticks of 1GB).  I wasn't
>  surprised to see Vista displaying 3.2GB, although it amuses me to no
>  end that you need 2GB to run it decently and you can't use more than
>  3GB ... that's a pretty small window of opportunity.  But I was
>  surprised to find that Debian testing displays very much the same
>  thing with "free", 3287MB even after I installed and booted kernel
>  2.6.24-1-686-bigmem.  I didn't change any boot params, do I need to?
>  "lshw" lists the motherboard as a "OFM586" made by "Dell," which
>  doesn't sound right, and it does see the 4GB.  The chipset is Intel.
>  I'm hoping there's something fairly simple that I'm missing.  I don't
>  believe there's a limitation in the BIOS, I looked there.  Any other
>  suggestions welcome.
>
>  --
>  Giles
>  http://www.gilesorr.com/
>  gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
>  --
>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org