Anyone using php_serial.class.php with USB serial port?

jim cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 3 16:07:49 UTC 2008

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. I am trying to use
the php serial class with a usb to serial adapter. The device is
recognized
as /dev/ttyUSB0 . I can't use this with the serial class without getting
an error.
Warning: Specified serial port is not valid
in /usr/share/php/php_serial.class.php on line 111

I also tried creating a symbolic link to /dev/ttyS4 thinking maybe it
only recognizes traditional serial ports. I can use either
this symbolic link or /dev/ttyUSB0 with a terminal program like gtkterm
but I keep getting the above error when I try using the php serial class
with
$serial->deviceSet("/dev/ttyS4");  or $serial->deviceSet("/dev/USB0");
Anyone have any ideas how I can get this to work. Thanks a lot.
Jim